This is my rig for flathead catfish ,which can be quite large;
1. BPS Offshore Angler Trophy Series 7' heavy boat rod. This is a very nice fiberglass rod with oversized line guides. Rated for up to 50 pound monofiliment line. List price @ $29.99
2. Penn Peer 209 levelwind reel. A real winch, you could dredge up a Buick with these. List price @ $49.99
3. BPS Offshore Angler Spectra braided line, 80 pound test. This line is the same diameter as 40 pound test mono. I have @ 200 yards of this line on my reel. List price @ $29.99
4. Gamakatsu Octopus circle hooks, size 8/0.
I use Berkley Trilene Big Game mono in 50 pound test for my leaders and rig up similar to a Carolina rig for bass fishing.

As you can see, this rig can be purchased and set up for just over $100 and you will have a rig that will stand up to any catfish you'll ever encounter. Happy fishing!

Posted Sun May 01, 2011 8:32 pm

A buddy of mine on another site (www.outdoor-fishing.com. I'm a moderator there) sent me a package of rod guides and tips. One of the tips is a really cool Allan roller tip. I'm having it installed on my flathead rod and pick it up again Wednesday. Awesome! The finishing touch for the ultimate flathead rig!

Posted Sat May 21, 2011 9:50 pm

AZ Fish Finder

Social Links